xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problems With Hitachi  (Read 133 times)

Psychop1

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »

I'm almost ready to give in. I've been at this for a week. I have burned games using the following  media:

Memorex

Office Depot (both ID as ritek).

I have flashed my 47DH with the following firmwares:

OPA-XTREME-HITACHI-7IN1-V2_1

Birdy_Hitachi-LG_friendly_Flasher_v2.2_with_Xtreme_v1.3_and_2.0

Maximus-Garyopa_XTRM-HITACHI_v2_3_Stealth_Rev2

Birdy_Hitachi-LG_friendly_Flasher_v2.1_with_Xtreme_v2.0_and_Geremia_Patch

All flashed successfully, as well as every restore in between has been successful.

I have burned using the following programs:

CloneCD

Imgburn (booktype is at DVD-ROM)

I am using this burner:

Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1633s

I have now changed the firmware of my burner to 1653s, and am getting better results in quality tests.

Now, here's the problem. No matter the combination of software, media, burner firmware, or dvd-rom firmware listed above, I always get unplayable disc, or open tray, when trying to load a backup (originals still work). The hdd trick, nor the hdtv switch help matters when I receive open tray. The console simply soft reboots and says, "Unplayable Disc". I have also tried the hitachi open tray fix from here, with no good results.

I am open to any suggestions, or questions any of you might have.

calvin940

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »

I have only done a couple hitachis, but one was your model.  I used:

and I used Verbatim discs and Fuji.  

Also, burn on a pioneer 111d.  This is the burner of choice for Hitachi drives in general.

Outside of that combo, people get varying degress of failure and/or success.

Also, how have you verified that your backups are working? Maybe there is something amiss in your backup creation process.  Outline your process so that folks can help you work through any issues with your making a backup of your games.

Cal

zeppos

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »

Yep, go buy a Pioneer 111(D). They're also pretty cheap, I bought one for 35€ and it's worth it! In combination with ricoh media it works perfect. And don't use your pc when you're burning the disks as I had a couple of bad burns because of this.

Psychop1

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(calvin940 @ Mar 19 2007, 06:55 PM) *

I have only done a couple hitachis, but one was your model.  I used:

and I used Verbatim discs and Fuji.  

Also, burn on a pioneer 111d.  This is the burner of choice for Hitachi drives in general.

Outside of that combo, people get varying degress of failure and/or success.

Also, how have you verified that your backups are working? Maybe there is something amiss in your backup creation process.  Outline your process so that folks can help you work through any issues with your making a backup of your games.

Cal

I have been using the wxRipper method of ripping games, along with a spare dvd-rom. I can't verify that the backups work, as nothing has worked so far. There is no reason I can see that they shouldn't, however.

This post has been edited by Psychop1: Mar 20 2007, 12:09 AM

sosotiit

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »

Stop flashing until you are sure that the problem is the flash, otherwise you will brick you drive.

You need to know where is the problem, find a friend that has a working setup. Bring your original and backup to test them on his X360. Bring one of his known working original and corresponding backup and test it on your x360. It will tell you if the problem is the DVD your are producing or your X360 Drive.

Note that not everyone has success extracting ss.bin with the stealth version of Garyopa (2.3S), some had to go back to 2.1 for ss extraction.

rgds,soso
moved to backup for now

Xbox360Guru

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »

I use a Sony DRU-810a DL burner and every game I burnt with CloneCD at 4x works with every hitachi drive I throw at it.. Samsungs too. Try burning at 4x

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

I'm surprised no one has brought up the media issue yet.  Office Depot and Memorex are both ID as Ritek, so you are using the exact same discs (You have only tried Ritek media according to this thread).  Ritek certainly isn't the best media to be using.  Have you tried using Verbatim?  Office Max currently has the 10 packs for $15.  Keep in mind that the Hitachi drives are usually more picky about what media they read.

Psychop1

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »

Thank to all that replied for your input. My problem is not solved, but my thoughts on what to do next were confirmed. Looks like I am going to have to pony up the dough and buy a decent burner, as well as order some decent media. Thanks again.

This post has been edited by Psychop1: Mar 20 2007, 05:53 PM

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

Hold on to that Lite-On though, as it will allow you to do accurate error rate scans to check the quality of your burns.

Ichijoe

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »

@Psychop1

You didn't make it claer as to if you were ussing DVD+R DL Disc's or not.
Are you aware that SL DVD's (i.e. 4.7Gib), Disc's currently do not work w/the Hitachi Drives.
Only the Samsung or Toshiba Drives can currently read SL Backups.

Other then that Did you remember to check for Booktyping?
Most newer Drives will do this automatically, but on older Drives you had to make sure to set
this Flag before burning.

Psychop1

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ichijoe @ Mar 21 2007, 12:31 PM) *

@Psychop1

You didn't make it claer as to if you were ussing DVD+R DL Disc's or not.
Are you aware that SL DVD's (i.e. 4.7Gib), Disc's currently do not work w/the Hitachi Drives.
Only the Samsung or Toshiba Drives can currently read SL Backups.

Other then that Did you remember to check for Booktyping?
Most newer Drives will do this automatically, but on older Drives you had to make sure to set
this Flag before burning.

Yes, I was using DL media. Booktyping is set at DVD-ROM.

It doesn't matter though. It looks like I have done what another poster warned against and bricked the drive (hitachi). I receive the E65 error, and am unable to eject. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, let me know. I've searched the forums, and so far, all the info conerning the E65 error is about sammies. I can't get windows to recognize the drive to reflash it.

This post has been edited by Psychop1: Mar 21 2007, 07:00 PM

j666*

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »

Should the booktype not  be DVD+ROM?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Problems With Hitachi
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »

That was already mentioned.   He has been setting it to DVD-ROM.