xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Display/scrambled Video Over Hdmi  (Read 242 times)

reddragon105

• Archived User
No Display/scrambled Video Over Hdmi
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »

I've seen a fair few Xbox 360s with corrupted video output, but I haven't seen it look quite like that before. Is that pattern moving across the screen like interference, or remaining still? (Obviously can't tell from a photo  tongue.gif )
You say you've tried component - have you tried good old composite as well? Any luck with that?
Have you got a different TV you can try composite, component and/or HDMI on?
Also what about the sound - are you getting any audio at all? If you're not getting any through your TV then try some external speakers if you can, just to see if the signal is actually being outputted.

If I remember right (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can reset the video settings by holding down the Right Trigger and the Y button on the controller and switching the 360 off then back on again. Not sure if that will help, but give it a shot.

If it's not your settings and you can rule out all your cables and TV then, yeah, it might be an overheating problem. In that case performing some sort of repair such as an X-Clamp replacement or reballing might fix it.

SK.anathema

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »

thanks for the reply, reddragon!

the pattern's still mostly, not moving across the screen.  i tried everything and on other TVs, nothing is displayed.  the TVs detect a signal from the component output but then reverts back to no signal.  only HDMI can i get anything.  i tried the reset video triggers, but it doesn't help.  the xbox restarts the video but nothing is fixed.  i do get sound.

i got a new symptom though that leans more towards a heating issue - last night i actually got a working bootup and played a bit, but after awhile i started getting green artifacts.  like everything was becoming outlined matrix green.  i restarted the xbox and it went back to normal, then the artifacts came back.  restarted again and got no display (scrambled if hdmi is plugged back in).

i ordered an x-clamp repair kit so i'll see if that fixes the problem.  the only concern i have is that even when it's not heated at all (left off for a day), the first power on can result in no display.  i don't have an answer for that still. sad.gif

SK.anathema

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »

just to update, the oven bake trick using aluminum foil over cloth seems to have totally fixed my problem (for now at least).  hope this helps anyone else having the same issue!

Amatuer Modder

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »

I had the same problem and the x-clamp fix worked.  Not sure how long it will last but it is working now.