xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unlocking Hdd W/o Password  (Read 396 times)

DarkDeity

• Archived User
Unlocking Hdd W/o Password
« on: August 10, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »

i wont be home all night tonight so any questions u can email me or PM me with

man_of_war2081

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (DarkDeity @ Aug 10 2004, 09:26 PM)

if this looks like you i found the solution, that is a quote from my earlier post, after sometime messing around with it i found how to unlock an xbox hdd without the password:

NOTE: this hasn't been fully tested and could possibly (not likely) result in hdd, xbox, or pc failure.  Do NOT blame me if that occurs.
and if done successfully all your locked hdd data will be erased.

I have 120 gig hard drive that was locked to a broken motherboard of mine.  I locked it using EvoX so there was no master password to unlock my hdd with nor did i have my mobo hdd Key. Using my pc i succesfully unlocked my hdd... heres how.

What you need:
1 disk with atapwd.exe on it (found on xbox-scene.com under "tools")
1 disk with KillDisk.exe on it (found on Killdisk.com)
1 locked hdd
1 pc with no hdd's or cd roms atatched to it

How:
Hook your HDD up to your pc and load up Atapwd.exe
Note: as your pc loads it will NOT recognize the hdd, only atapwd.exe will.
locate your drive on atapwd.exe and click enter > S.M.A.R.T (<--or something like that) > Enable Operations.  It should say "command ceompleted .. OK" or something like that.
Now go back to the main screen.  click enter on your hdd and choose the other option (dont remember the name) and choose "Set master password" and type in something like "XBOX".
Now go to "unlock with master password" and type in "XBOX" now click "disable with master password" and type in "XBOX" now just wait at the screen where you select which hdd you want to choose.
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PC.

Now here is the hard part (which isn't all that hard).  Unplug the IDE cable (NOT THE POWER CABLE) from your hdd and plug in your xbox IDE cable into your hdd. So ur hdd is powered by the pc and connected with IDE to the xbox.
Turn on ur xbox and wait... wait... wait... after about 15 seconds you should get error 07, GOOD!.
Now turn off your pc and xbox at the SAME time.  So the xbox hdd thinks the xbox initiated shutdown.
If the hdd thinks the pc initiated shutdown it will reset your lock.
Unplug the IDE cable from the xbox and plug the hdd back into the pc.

Turn on your pc and as its loading it SHOULD recognize your drive.
Put the KILLDISK floppy in and let it boot up (may take a minute) now locate your drive, hit [F 10] and it should all be ready to format, just check "skip confirmation" and hit "start erasing" this should take up to about 45 minutes.

NOTE: if your hdd is bigger than 8 gigs (which it should be) it will only say 7.8 gb on KILLDISK but it's ok b/c mine worked and its a 120 giger.

When its done power off your pc, unplug the freshly formatted hdd (if the hdd is warm thats a good sign) now plug it in to your xbox, load up something to prepare your new hdd (i used evox) and it should all work.. mine did!

Special thanks to:
Thedustycelt: helped me via aim to understand the hdd
Animex2: kept my old hdd password from a year ago even though it proved to be uneeded (and thanks for getting me into xbox modding)
HSDEMONZ: for giving me a 3 day posting ban, if it wasnt for not being allowed to ask questions i would have never tried this method of unlocking my hdd!!

Hope this helps everyone!

]- DarkDeity

Awsome post!

CivicGuy03

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »

Will a stock hard drive work??

zac_haryy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »

After I got to this part:
How:
locate your drive on atapwd.exe and click enter > S.M.A.R.T (<--or something like that) > Enable Operations. It should say "command ceompleted .. OK" or something like that.
Now go back to the main screen. click enter on your hdd and choose the other option (dont remember the name) and choose "Set master password" and type in something like "XBOX".

Where I type in the password it says that it is rejected. I made it so that the computer wouldnt recongize it and everything. I ahve the hdd in slave mode. Is that where it should be?? Please let me know. Thanks!!

-haryy

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (DarkDeity @ Aug 10 2004, 09:26 PM)

if this looks like you i found the solution, that is a quote from my earlier post, after sometime messing around with it i found how to unlock an xbox hdd without the password:

NOTE: this hasn't been fully tested and could possibly (not likely) result in hdd, xbox, or pc failure.  Do NOT blame me if that occurs.
and if done successfully all your locked hdd data will be erased.

I have 120 gig hard drive that was locked to a broken motherboard of mine.  I locked it using EvoX so there was no master password to unlock my hdd with nor did i have my mobo hdd Key. Using my pc i succesfully unlocked my hdd... heres how.

What you need:
1 disk with atapwd.exe on it (found on xbox-scene.com under "tools")
1 disk with KillDisk.exe on it (found on Killdisk.com)
1 locked hdd
1 pc with no hdd's or cd roms atatched to it

How:
locate your drive on atapwd.exe and click enter > S.M.A.R.T (<--or something like that) > Enable Operations.  It should say "command ceompleted .. OK" or something like that.
Now go back to the main screen.  click enter on your hdd and choose the other option (dont remember the name) and choose "Set master password" and type in something like "XBOX".
Now go to "unlock with master password" and type in "XBOX" now click "disable with master password" and type in "XBOX" now just wait at the screen where you select which hdd you want to choose.
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PC.

Now here is the hard part (which isn't all that hard).  Unplug the IDE cable (NOT THE POWER CABLE) from your hdd and plug in your xbox IDE cable into your hdd. So ur hdd is powered by the pc and connected with IDE to the xbox.
Turn on ur xbox and wait... wait... wait... after about 15 seconds you should get error 07, GOOD!.
Now turn off your pc and xbox at the SAME time.  So the xbox hdd thinks the xbox initiated shutdown.
If the hdd thinks the pc initiated shutdown it will reset your lock.
Unplug the IDE cable from the xbox and plug the hdd back into the pc.

Turn on your pc and as its loading it SHOULD recognize your drive.
Put the KILLDISK floppy in and let it boot up (may take a minute) now locate your drive, hit [F 10] and it should all be ready to format, just check "skip confirmation" and hit "start erasing" this should take up to about 45 minutes.

NOTE: if your hdd is bigger than 8 gigs (which it should be) it will only say 7.8 gb on KILLDISK but it's ok b/c mine worked and its a 120 giger.

When its done power off your pc, unplug the freshly formatted hdd (if the hdd is warm thats a good sign) now plug it in to your xbox, load up something to prepare your new hdd (i used evox) and it should all work.. mine did!

Special thanks to:
Thedustycelt: helped me via aim to understand the hdd
Animex2: kept my old hdd password from a year ago even though it proved to be uneeded (and thanks for getting me into xbox modding)
HSDEMONZ: for giving me a 3 day posting ban, if it wasnt for not being allowed to ask questions i would have never tried this method of unlocking my hdd!!

Hope this helps everyone!

]- DarkDeity

huh ? sounds too good to be true. Are you using the old Xbox to unlock it ?

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (tester123 @ Aug 10 2004, 11:34 PM)
If you locked it with Evox just use atapwd.exe and use the master password "TEAMASSEMBLY"

You wont loose any data and you wont need to go through hell either.

Quote from the Read Me that comes with EvolutionX Build 3921 (it works with ALL current EvolutionX releases).

configmagic also sets the master password to TEAMASSEMBLY

this trick only works if there is NO master password set (maybe if you locked with a gen4 modchip?)

networkBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »

Sure seems easier than what I've been doing (lLINK).
That said, I'll beleive it when I see it.  I'll do this to confirm tommorow evening if I have time.
-nB

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (tester123 @ Aug 11 2004, 12:14 AM)
Could you elaborate more?

The master password IS set if you lock it using EvoX, thats the point I'm trying to get across. If you lock it using EvoX, you can unlock it using atapwd.exe and "TEAMASSEMBLY".

If in doubt give it a test, that's what Xbox modding is all about.  beerchug.gif

right, evox and config magoc both set eh master password to TEAMASSEMBLY

what i meant was the method detailed by DarkDeity only works if there is NO master password set (IE, you locked with a program OTHER THAN evox or config magic) and i sugested perhaps a gen4 mochip OS would leave the master password blank

DarkDeity

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »

@chimpanzee i used the new xbox wen i unlocked it, my old xbox is broken

@lordvader129 i must have used an old EvoX build because i had no master password set. [edit] I had tried using TEAMASSEMBLY as master pwd before i did my other method of unlocking my hard drive but it didnt work [/edit]

@tester123 ive only had 1 modchip and thasts my x2.2 lite

@zac_haryy i had mine set to master.. b/c it needs to be master when it is plugged into the xbox... make sure u clikc the "s.m.a.r.t" button and set it too Enable Operations First... then wen u set password to w/e you want (i used "hey") go to unlock and disable with that as the MASTER password.. it should show unlock and disabled as set.

@CivicGuy03 i don't see why a stock hdd wont work

DarkDeity

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »

maybe if u skip the whole kill disk part ur newly unlocked hdd might still have the data from before it was locked... just throwing out ideas

zac_haryy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »

DarkDeity: I made the drive so that it was master and then enabled operations and then went to change hassword to "hi" and I still get the same error "ERROR: Command rejected by drive". Then I tried to put a longer password in there and still nothing happens. I do know what the origianl password of the hdd is but when I go to "Unlock with MASTER password" I can't type in that many characters into the space that it provides me with. Any other suggestions??

-haryy

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (DarkDeity @ Aug 11 2004, 06:10 PM)
@chimpanzee i used the new xbox wen i unlocked it, my old xbox is broken

@lordvader129 i must have used an old EvoX build because i had no master password set. [edit] I had tried using TEAMASSEMBLY as master pwd before i did my other method of unlocking my hard drive but it didnt work [/edit]

@tester123 ive only had 1 modchip and thasts my x2.2 lite

@zac_haryy i had mine set to master.. b/c it needs to be master when it is plugged into the xbox... make sure u clikc the "s.m.a.r.t" button and set it too Enable Operations First... then wen u set password to w/e you want (i used "hey") go to unlock and disable with that as the MASTER password.. it should show unlock and disabled as set.

@CivicGuy03 i don't see why a stock hdd wont work

This is really strange then. I just can't understand how it would work given my limited understanding of the ATA security mechanism.

networkBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (chimpanzee @ Aug 12 2004, 12:52 AM)
This is really strange then. I just can't understand how it would work given my limited understanding of the ATA security mechanism.

by all rights it shouldn't work.  So either this is BS or he found an exploit.
I'm hoping it's the exploit b/c it would be a better solution than what  I've been working on.
-nB

zac_haryy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »

Well I got the hdd password frommy smartXX reading it off of the hdd so i am sure that it is the master password.

-haryy

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (networkBoy @ Aug 12 2004, 02:34 AM)
by all rights it shouldn't work.  So either this is BS or he found an exploit.
I'm hoping it's the exploit b/c it would be a better solution than what  I've been working on.
-nB

If it  is a bug(of the drive firmware?), it would work even if one just use standard PC as they are all just ATA commands.

However, if it really is a bug, it may be just for that particular model or brand. Unless of course it is a bug of the ATA spec, which I don't think is the case here.
Pages: [1] 2 3