xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbreboot Or Freeboot?  (Read 353 times)

JEB-101

• Archived User
Xbreboot Or Freeboot?
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »

So either this weekend or early in the week I will be performing the jtag hack on the 360, but I have a few questions about the way I want to do it..

Firstly, is Freeboot still the more stable solution or is that a thing of the past with the new 3b update for XBR?

Here is what I am thinking of doing.

Install a second NAND in the xbox for hacking purposes, keep my original NAND clean. So since the XD is an oddly packaged NAND I was thinking cloning my NAND over to the XD and either installing XBR, or doing the Freeboot method, but wondering if the box will load from XD (since I have yet to find somebody who installed XBR on an XD).

And I also wanted to install a bilateral switch to swap between on-board and XD, which would also disable the jtag hack.

Secondly I was thinking of adding a switch (or timer) to R6T3, so for some reason I need to update the dash or what not it's still there. The timer would be to boot for x seconds to pass post with no E80, and then disable it after (adding a switch to enable permanent if wanted).

And all this will be flashed from the USB to SPI interface which will be internal with an additional USB port on the outside of the case for easy access.

Would anyone know if this idea would work? or have any improvements to the idea?

All input, comments, flames are welcome!

Cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
JEB

node21

• Archived User
Xbreboot Or Freeboot?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »

XBR >= freeboot, for now.

Remove RT63 completely or risk losing all of this ability accidentally.

JEB-101

• Archived User
Xbreboot Or Freeboot?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(node21 @ Jan 8 2010, 11:53 AM) *

Remove RT63 completely or risk losing all of this ability accidentally.

yea I think that would be the safe method, I'll just add a switch and have it to OFF all the time, because you never know if your ever going to need it again, and why open the console once it's been jtag'd?!

I will just be adding an external USB-B port to the back of the console for easy flash access.

But once I get it all working and pretty I will be writing up a tut on what I have done, wiring diagrams for the XD, and for the switch setup to have only one switch to disable the hack completely.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
JEB

djricekcn

• Archived User
Xbreboot Or Freeboot?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »

i thought freeboot is more stable because it requires dualnand setup?  i think the one console imight be getting has a freeboot, because i was told it's better.  it also has CynogV2.

If XBR is better, how exactly do I change this?  I'm not exactly a techy so I may need a dummies guide for this.