xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft Privacy Defence Delays Police  (Read 382 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft Privacy Defence Delays Police
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 7 18:45 EST

From stuff.co.nz:

Computer giant Microsoft refused police requests for information on a suspected burglary ring, claiming as a United States-based company that it was not subject to New Zealand laws.

Police had to obtain a court order to seize details of a man they believed was linked to a series of Wellington burglaries - after he had given his details to the company seeking a replacement part for a stolen Xbox 360 console.
The computer company had the man's name, address and phone number - but would not provide the information to police.

The Privacy Act compels private and public organizations to divulge information to allow the law to be upheld.
But Microsoft insisted that as an American company it was not bound by New Zealand laws and could not pass on confidential customer information.

Full Story: stuff.co.nz

comradpoplin

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

well the man was suspected of breaking the law so microsoft should have coughed up.
if a man in new zealand was suspected of thieving off of m$ and they were persuing leads for some reason and the police couldbnt get info becasue of a petty reason like this m$ would file complaints or somthing to that effect

bad m$ double standers dont work just because your big doesnt mean you dont have to do as your told even for the right reasons.

This post has been edited by comradpoplin: Feb 8 2007, 12:59 AM

dmx_wyrw

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

Hell yeah micro$oft.  mutha f*ck Tha police  F.T.P.    biatch

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

Wow, this is impressive for Microsoft.  In this day and age where privacy contracts are usually riddled with loopholes so the company may sell all of your contact and personal information, they actually stayed true to their guns - good work MS!

And who knows what evidence they actually presented to MS - in this day it is quite easy to fake credentials to obtain other's info.

weinerschnitzel

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

Its pretty nice to hear that MS is not handing out customer info. I think I feel more at ease buying software from them. Maybe their kindness could go towards free homebrew/emulation on the 360. I can dream can't I?

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ Feb 8 2007, 12:54 AM) *

Its pretty nice to hear that MS is not handing out customer info. I think I feel more at ease buying software from them. Maybe their kindness could go towards free homebrew/emulation on the 360. I can dream can't I?

me 2 if this was with sony i think sony would be like more moeny for us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)  for ms

samsbak

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »

Way to go MS...very cool

Now just let the poor teacher in Russia go as per Fmr. Rus. Pres. Gorbey's request and you have a perfect score!

tuna69

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

I have to say it is nice to hear that MS protects the confidentiality of its customers, however I believe if this was a crime against MS they would be quick to hand it over.

Psykomantis00

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(comradpoplin @ Feb 8 2007, 12:28 AM) *

well the man was suspected of breaking the law so microsoft should have coughed up.
if a man in new zealand was suspected of thieving off of m$ and they were persuing leads for some reason and the police couldbnt get info becasue of a petty reason like this m$ would file complaints or somthing to that effect

bad m$ double standers dont work just because your big doesnt mean you dont have to do as your told even for the right reasons.

You are an idiot.

llsTixll

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

New Zealand have police?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(794 @ Feb 7 2007, 06:34 PM) *

Wow, this is impressive for Microsoft.  In this day and age where privacy contracts are usually riddled with loopholes so the company may sell all of your contact and personal information, they actually stayed true to their guns - good work MS!

Totally agree. Btw At&t funnels its internet traffic to the Nsa. http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70619-0.html

Kallstar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Feb 7 2007, 07:52 PM) *

Police had to obtain a court order to seize details of a man

Well NO shit! This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody, and the fact that its newsworthy speaks volumes about the corroding concept of privacy. I don't want private info to be handed out to any idiot with a rent-a-cop costume on.. you want to obtain personal info, go through the proper process. If this comes as a shock to anyone shame on you. Way to go M$.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »

I'm kinda surprised so many people on here think M$ are good guys for not helping the police put a criminal behind bars  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Would you think they were still good guys if it was your 360 the guy had stolen??.  

"The Privacy Act compels private and public organizations to divulge information to allow the law to be upheld" personally I see no problem with this (I'm not a criminal, so why should it?). M$ should have given the police the guys details and helped put the asshole in jail. People that break into other peoples houses and thieve their stuff are total scum!. If M$ are allowed to trade in New Zealand then they should abide by New Zealand laws. Stories like this just piss me off  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) .

This post has been edited by sabbath_dude: Feb 8 2007, 03:51 AM

Sensual Mango

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »

sabbath_dude     Posted Today, 09:21 PM
     I'm kinda surprised so many people on here think M$ are good guys for not helping the police put a criminal behind bars blink.gif . Would you think they were still good guys if it was your 360 the guy had stolen??.

"The Privacy Act compels private and public organizations to divulge information to allow the law to be upheld" personally I see no problem with this (I'm not a criminal, so why should it?). M$ should have given the police the guys details and helped put the asshole in jail. People that break into other peoples houses and thieve their stuff are total scum!. If M$ are allowed to trade in New Zealand then they should abide by New Zealand laws. Stories like this just piss me off mad.gif .

Dont leave the house without a helmet.

This is a GOOD thing.  It doesnt matter if the/a man is guilty of a crime.  If you have a privacy policy that says you will not give out information you have to honor it.  Think of it as a sports writer refusing to reveal his source of who gave/did steroids.  Or a writer refusing to give out the name of the source that was given a name of a corrupt politician.

TheIrishLad

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Feb 7 2007, 08:21 PM) *

I'm kinda surprised so many people on here think M$ are good guys for not helping the police put a criminal behind bars  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Would you think they were still good guys if it was your 360 the guy had stolen??.  

"The Privacy Act compels private and public organizations to divulge information to allow the law to be upheld" personally I see no problem with this (I'm not a criminal, so why should it?). M$ should have given the police the guys details and helped put the asshole in jail. People that break into other peoples houses and thieve their stuff are total scum!. If M$ are allowed to trade in New Zealand then they should abide by New Zealand laws. Stories like this just piss me off  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) .

With that logic your saying anywhere the Xbox 360 is sold Microsoft has to abide by that countries laws.  I don't think that would work...at all...ever...

It isn't about Microsoft helping a thief out, it is about Microsoft sticking to their policies.