xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft's Chris Satchell: HDMI Just 'Experimentation', Bigger HD Tal  (Read 347 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Microsoft's Chris Satchell: HDMI Just 'Experimentation', Bigger HD Talk
Posted by XanTium | January 10 14:25 EST

From gamespot.com:

* GameSpot: What can you tell us about the HDMI-enabled Xbox 360 rumors that have been going around?
* Chris Satchell: We're always working on prototypes and new technologies and just playing with stuff in Redmond to see what's interesting. I think at the moment we have the widest available connections on the system. If you want to get great HD, I think we've got a good solution for that. In the future it's interesting to see where standards evolve to. I think one of the problems that the whole industry, us and entertainment, are facing at the moment is we're in this world where standards are evolving very quickly.
We have different high-definition standards for discs that we know are competing at the moment. We think HD-DVD is going to be the right way to go, but really it's all about choice in that system so that's why we're offering these sort of services with downloads--skip that whole "format wars" problem. With other standards, audiovideo standards, they're evolving very quickly as well. We're obviously keeping an eye on that and saying, "What are the future standards and how do we give consumers the right choice for that?"
At the moment, everything you might have seen is just looking at our experimentation back in Redmond, not really a product that we're thinking about announcing.

* GameSpot: All this cool HD stuff that you're talking about starts to take up space. The 20GB for a lot of people is already starting to fill up. Seeing how Microsoft has been great about responding to customer needs on the Xbox 360, can you speak to larger-capacity hard drives?
* Chris Satchell: That's not really something we're looking at today. We're very open to feedback on it. As we produce these services, if we see an increase in pressure that's something that will be interesting to look at, but there isn't any announcement today about any new configuration that may or may not be happening.

Note: Obviously Microsoft is not gonna announce a HDMI Xbox360 until they are ready to launch it - that would hurt the sales of the current Xbox360. However, they finally acknowledge the HDMI prototypes are real :) It's a prototype and not retail board, but we never told you otherwise. I guess we'll have to wait longer to know if/when MS will release this output in future revisions of the retail motherboard.
Full Interview: gamespot.com (via kotaku.com)

bucko

• Recovered User
Microsoft's Chris Satchell: HDMI Just 'Experimentation', Bigger HD Tal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »

Just don't screw the original adopters, release an HDMI adapter as well if you release a 360V2 with it built in.

This post has been edited by bucko: Jan 10 2007, 08:19 PM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »

He said everything I was thinking. Even if it does exist, doesn't mean it will see the light of day (can you say snes cd-rom?). Besides does MS have alot of pressure to release an HDMI box? I mean is it worth it to screw over some ppl just for an extra port? Not at all.

The hard drive on ther other hand, need to come out as fast as possible!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

This post has been edited by incognegro: Jan 10 2007, 09:08 PM

Enygma

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

I won't buy an Xbox 360 until the new version with HDMI, 65nm manufacturing process, and a larger hard drive comes out. The sooner they release it, the sooner I will buy one.

I have a version 1.3 Xbox and it runs great. I have seen lots of people who have had problems with v1.0 of the first Xbox, and it seems same goes for Xbox 360.

Xfab29

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

it's time to give us HDMi for the xbox360.
Through a cable (think it's impossible to get it) or a new hdmi output (so new console too).
Because i own a 1080p tv and impossible to get 1080p though vga or yuv on it.
Only through hdmi

come on MS and release the zephyr!!

afortaleza

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

if we see an increase in pressure that's something that will be interesting to look at

M$ is not feeling the heat of this tiny HD yet ? How thick is their skin ?

TheRealStJimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »

well i cant say im surprised about the HDMI-360, the most it was ever going to be at this stage was a prototype. I'm not saying it won't see release but i'd say 2008 at the earliest.

Releasing new hardware like that won't impact sales as much as peoplpe think, hurting them i mean. However I don't think M$ would prepare a release at the end of the first development cycle, its too major.

As for the HDD, they are definitely feeling the heat from consumers but I feel they might hold off releasing a bigger drive till they launch IPTV, that makes sense to me launching them together.

But of course id like the HDD as soon as possible

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Enygma @ Jan 10 2007, 08:39 PM) *

I won't buy an Xbox 360 until the new version with HDMI, 65nm manufacturing process, and a larger hard drive comes out. The sooner they release it, the sooner I will buy one.

I have a version 1.3 Xbox and it runs great. I have seen lots of people who have had problems with v1.0 of the first Xbox, and it seems same goes for Xbox 360.

I still have my 1.0 xbox and never had any issues with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

bought it at launch

This post has been edited by incognegro: Jan 10 2007, 09:26 PM

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(afortaleza @ Jan 10 2007, 01:44 PM) *

M$ is not feeling the heat of this tiny HD yet ? How thick is their skin ?

No kidding!  When asked about the hard drive filling up with all of the HD content and demos, the response was:

That's not really something we're looking at today. We're very open to feedback on it.

Are you serious?  They have their own 360s at home and so they must know just how friggin' small those drives are...I mean that is not much bigger than even the original xbox hard drive (8-10GB) back when consumber HD  content wasn't around.

I want some of what these guys are smokin...

amexie

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »

microsoft is just ripping us all off 70 pound for a 20 gig hard drive you can get a 300 gig one now for 50 pound  they should just let us use are own hard drives

and say they release a bigger hard drive how much is that going to cost

This post has been edited by amexie: Jan 10 2007, 09:36 PM

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Jan 10 2007, 09:38 PM) *

He said everything I was thinking. Even if it does exist, doesn't mean it will see the light of day (can you say snes cd-rom?).

didn't that become the original Playstation  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(Enygma @ Jan 10 2007, 03:39 PM) *

The 65nm CPU is just from production maturing.  It really is helps the manufacture reduce production costs while increasing productivity as it allows for more chips per wafer, i.e. increased yields.  For the end user, you, it will require slightly less watts and output slightly less heat, but unless you are currently having overheating issues there is not much of a point.  The typical benefits of a die shrink, increased cache and higher clock speeds, won't be realized on a console as game developers would have to program for the lowest common denominator.  

The increased HDD will be released as an upgrade I'm sure and the only reason for HDMI is if you are lacking component or VGA inputs or if you are infact an HD-DVD drive owner who wishes to hear the uncompressed audio sound tracks.

Odin NZ

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »

I am hoping they take this opportunity to phase out the Core System, one of the biggest mistakes of the X360 so far. Developers are having to scale back their games because they can't rely on a Hard Drive being there - the biggest example being that Volition couldnt include Motorcycles, Planes or Boats because on the core systems there was no way to cache games.

What I would like to see is the new Xbox 360 with HDMI and a 120gb HDD along with the 65nm processor put out for $400, the premium dropped to $300 and the Core discontinued and priced at around $250 or less in order to sell the remaining units.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »

This guy is covering his ass so people will keep buying xbox version ones.

The version two is coming, the prototype pictured on xbox scene has got to be near a final build. It is a complete functioning system with new scaler and everything. They wouldn't go that far with it unless it was going to be released in my opinion.

Also they are absolutely going to release a bigger hard drive to support all the hd dowmloads and replay tv and what not.

It is coming.

Also there is no way to make a cable for the 360 ver1 that really supports digital HDMI, that is why they have to make a seperate out for the HDMI in the first place.

Early adopters are screwed unless a person got the extended full replacement warrenty, like I did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »

Heh, it'd be nicer if the title was, "Bigger HDD Talk."  I was thinking for a second there, does someone think 1920x1080 isn't good enough right now, lol.