xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: High-Def Movies and TV Series on the Xbox 360 MarketPlace *updated*  (Read 777 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

High-Def Movies and TV Series on the Xbox 360 MarketPlace *updated*
Posted by XanTium | November 6 21:47 EST

From the press release:

Microsoft Corp. November 6 announced agreements with CBS, MTV Networks, Paramount Pictures, Turner Broadcasting System Inc. (TBS Inc.), Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment to bring an initial lineup of over 1,000 hours of hit TV shows and movies to Xbox 360™ gamers in the U.S. by the end of the year. Furthermore, Xbox 360 will be the first gaming console to bring standard and high-definition TV shows and movies via digital distribution over the Internet directly to the consumer.

Beginning Nov. 22, on its first anniversary, Xbox 360 will be the first gaming console in history to provide high-definition TV shows and movies directly to gamers in their living rooms. Xbox 360 gamers will have access to the full-length TV shows as downloads to own and movies to rent via download from the Xbox Live® network, the worldwide leader in online distribution of high-definition gaming and entertainment content. This announcement also brings with it several additional "firsts":
    * For the first time, consumers will get an integrated gaming and entertainment experience on a gaming console that includes downloadable high-definition TV shows and movies. This new full-length content adds to the ever-expanding number of choices gamers have on their Xbox 360, whether they want to play games or play a movie on a disc or as a download in high definition or standard definition.
    * For the first time CBS will deliver high-definition download-to-own TV shows including "CSI," "Jericho," "Numb3rs" and remastered "Star Trek" episodes; gamers can buy them and watch them repeatedly.
    * For the first time on any platform, NASCAR.COM will deliver download-to-own condensed versions of select NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series races from "Race Rewind."
    * For the first time, the Ultimate Fighting Championship will make 50 of its most intense fights available for download as well as select episodes from the original season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series.

"This groundbreaking announcement is a win for everyone," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. "It connects our partners with one of the most coveted audiences in entertainment today, and provides even greater value to our Xbox Live community, allowing them to enjoy the games and entertainment they want, when they want it."

The initial lineup of TV shows available for download to own and feature films available for download to rent will include a growing catalog of popular hits. Examples of content that will be available on the network by the end of year include the following:
    * "Robot Chicken" and "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" from Adult Swim
    * "CSI," "Survivor" and "Star Trek" from CBS
    * Emmy and Peabody award-winning "South Park" and "Chappelle's Show" from COMEDY CENTRAL
    * "The Real World" and "Pimp My Ride" from MTV
    * "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "SpongeBob SquarePants" from Nickelodeon
    * "Skyland" and "The Nicktoons Network Animation Festival" from Nicktoons Network
    * "M:i:III," Nacho Libre" and "Jackass: The Movie" from Paramount Pictures
    * "Carpocalypse" and "Raising the Roofs" from Spike TV
    * "Race Rewind" provided by NASCAR.COM
    * Select episodes of the original season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series and the "UFC: All Access" shows from the UFC
    * "Breaking Bonaduce" and "Hogan Knows Best" from VH1
    * "The Matrix," "Superman Returns" and "Batman Forever" from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

UPDATE: Gamevideos.com posted a video showing the marketplace with TV shows, movies & HD content

More details on xbox.com

Shepdog

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

cool

Boydster

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

Wow! Now go make us a bigger HD...

This post has been edited by Boydster: Nov 7 2006, 02:59 AM

1337 pig

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

HOLY %$*(#$^&*#$&*$&* SWEET! Now im excited. biggrin.gif

BennyBou

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

It could be nice if they speed up Xbox Live servers a little... downloading stuff from Marketplace takes forever... just imagine a full HD movie...

Boydster

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »

^^It's probably encoded in DivX... hahaha
Seriously though, it'll most likely come in WMV-HD

This post has been edited by Boydster: Nov 7 2006, 03:03 AM

Gliff159

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »

did i hear nascar??? oh wai this right nascar = click

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

another slap in sony's face

I love the fact that Adult Swim stuff is at the top of the list. (i know its alphabetical)

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »

1) Need bigger Hard Disk
2) Need to be able to transfer current content to bigger Hard Disk
3) Need to speed up Xbox Live servers so people can max out their bandwidth and get stuff in a reasonable time.

And that's about it. Otherwise, very cool.

This post has been edited by brywalker: Nov 7 2006, 03:06 AM

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

people are filling up the hard drive as is i think they will need to release a larger hard drive before they do this release.
also...i know it allot like down loading games for live arcade but i like my movies on a disk...if i pay to download some aquateen id hope to also get a hard copy in the mail or something...

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

Unless a bigger HDD will be available soon this is doomed to fail. A high definition one hour show is about five gigabytes. That's 1/4 of the HDD right there. A movie can be upwards of 15GB+. People won't buy movies and shows if they have to constantly delete them to make room for other stuff. In short, when can we expect the bigger HDD MS?

I personally would rather use XBMC on Xbox or wait until homebrew comes to the Xbox 360.  biggrin.gif

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »

Time for a 320GB hard drive add on MS!

320GB drives are cheap as chips, get to it already and release one.

edrift101

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

I've been waiting for this.  It seems like a no-brainer for Microsoft and it will give them an edge.  

I'd imagine that a new HD will be rolled out the day this becomes active.  Price is questionable however.

20Gb = $100
100Gb = ??
500Gb = ??

RiPpN-N-TrIppN

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »

sounds good
but yeh a bigger h/d is now a must have
or atleast the ability to save to a networked PC
Rip

gehx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »

1) What's the cost gonna be? The Xbox Marketplace is already way overpriced
2) Where do they expect us to store all of this? Especially the case if it's HD content
Pages: [1] 2 3