xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Update Broke My 360 Anyone Else?  (Read 1397 times)

89c4l98

• Archived User
Update Broke My 360 Anyone Else?
« on: June 06, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »

the new spring update broke my 360 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) after update the dash started to freeze and then 3 rol.... 1,2,3 blinking... so mad... 1-800-4myxbox is sending me a box to do the dumb rma procedure...  so mad.. anyone else have this problem?

This post has been edited by Chancer: Jun 15 2006, 10:37 AM

Nascasho

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »

It froze once for me when i decided to look at my friends list RIGHT after i signed in and i went into a "dead" state. The background was still animated but it was responding like my controller wasn't there. Another thing i saw was that the friend i went to look at, his gamerpic didn't load... so yeah, i hope this sin't just me.

89c4l98

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »

well target exchanged my 81 day old 360 for a brand new one.. still pisses me off the 360 update broke my xbox

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

Same thing with me. After updating I played the outfit for about an hour, halfway through playing an online game it froze.  When I turned the console off and back on, I get no video output and a red ring of light.  I've had this console since last November and never had any issues.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »

This is what I got from the official xbox forums.  My xbox now boots correctly but only works for about a minute, then freezes. Power button doesn't work and I have to unplug from wall when it freezes, this sucks.

http://support.MS.com/kb/907534/en-us

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »

See my posts here,
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...1&#entry3457501

Update broke my xbox too

Maybe a mod could combine the two threads?

toratora

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 02:48:00 AM »

I had the same thing:  Updated, rebooted itself, then the controller would not respond.  Powered it down from the front, three rings of red death.  Called Msoft, and they are going to fix it.  They did not seem to be concerned that the update bricked it.

Now I am not sure what to do.  I opened the case, so the warrentee is dead.  If I send it in, will they just send a new one, or do you think they will send it back unrepaired, or bill me?

This post has been edited by toratora: Jun 7 2006, 09:49 AM

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(mike_jacko @ Jun 7 2006, 12:51 AM) *

how does a software update break your 360? mine updated just fine...i think everyone here is paranoid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Well, seeing that I've had my XBOX 360 since last November with no issues and my xbox broke 1hr after downloading the update, I definately suspect the update has something to do with it.  This is no paranoid delusion, my XBOX is now officially broken. If I were the only person experiencing this problem I may consider it an anomoly, but others are experiencing the exact same issue. MS has offered to fix my XBOX for half price so I'm sure they are getting loads of calls with the same issue. Perhaps you have not played long enough for yours to break?

Status of my XBOX:
Will play games for about 2 minutes then freezes with checkerboard pattern display.

89c4l98

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(crazypranks @ Jun 7 2006, 03:24 PM) *

Status of my XBOX:
Will play games for about 2 minutes then freezes with checkerboard pattern display.

mine was the same exact problem.. after freeze i had 3 red rol flashing. I removed the hard drive and had same error.. so it's not hard drive related. It's something in the dashboard ms messed up with.  The people are morons at xbox support anyways most have never seen a 360.   I get better support from india

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(89c4l98 @ Jun 7 2006, 09:33 AM) *

mine was the same exact problem.. after freeze i had 3 red rol flashing. I removed the hard drive and had same error.. so it's not hard drive related. It's something in the dashboard ms messed up with.  The people are morons at xbox support anyways most have never seen a 360.   I get better support from india

Same thing here, XBOX support told me me hard drive may need to be reformatted. I have the same problem when the hard drive is disconnected.  Do you get the checkerboard pattern display when it freezes?

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »

I suppose it could be a coicidence that my 360 broke 5 seconds after I got the update.

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

Still on the phone with 18004myxbox.  They have been getting a lot of calls.  Since I guess im one of the lucky ones whose xbox only freezes and doesn't give the 3ROL they said that the will fax the info to MS (who am I talking to?) and that another update will fix the problems.  

To the previous poster:  I see your point, most of us have the same hardware(Core, Premium, HD, no HD (There are even different HD's), Memory Card, dvd drive), but what about software?  Flashing from the dashboard, flashing from a game, watching a movie, etc.  There are enough variables that it could be a an update problem.

They said that another update will fix the problem, but I do wonder what damage has been done and whether the update will actually fix anything or if they are blowing smoke up my shorts.

crazypranks

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(tgm4883 @ Jun 7 2006, 10:37 AM) *

Still on the phone with 18004myxbox.  They have been getting a lot of calls.  Since I guess im one of the lucky ones whose xbox only freezes and doesn't give the 3ROL they said that the will fax the info to MS (who am I talking to?) and that another update will fix the problems.  

To the previous poster:  I see your point, most of us have the same hardware(Core, Premium, HD, no HD (There are even different HD's), Memory Card, dvd drive), but what about software?  Flashing from the dashboard, flashing from a game, watching a movie, etc.  There are enough variables that it could be a an update problem.

They said that another update will fix the problem, but I do wonder what damage has been done and whether the update will actually fix anything or if they are blowing smoke up my shorts.

Have they given any info on when we can expect another update to fix this problem? There are hardware variables, different dvd drives, and a few other internals. If this can be fixed with a software update that would be great.

This post has been edited by crazypranks: Jun 7 2006, 04:48 PM

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

They said soon, but when asked how long soon was she didn't have an answer.  Xbox live support wasn't much help either (I was talking to hardware support, transfered to xbox live support to see if I could get credit on my xbox live account if it took a month)  They didn't have an answer for me either.

I was told that they would fax it to MS and they would see what was causing the problems and make a patch for it.  So I would hope in a week or two we will have an update.

89c4l98

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif) Listen Up...

If you have no problems then dont post trash talk in this thread. My 360 was playing PGR3 for 3 hours with no problems the night before the update. I got the update and the 360 rebooted. Loaded PGR3 and then froze. Checkerboard type pattern but it was translucent over the frozen washed out picture.

I rebooted and got random freezing, random lockups, random 3 rol flashing, I once got a dvd to work for 10 minutes before it froze completely and got me mad enough to return the 360 to target for a 2nd unit that updated fine.

The update caused some issue. And it has nothing 2 do with hard drives as I tried without a hdd and with 2 different ones.

This post has been edited by 89c4l98: Jun 7 2006, 06:12 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6