xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Xbox Audio/Video Technical FAQ  (Read 392 times)

Ohm

Xbox Audio/Video Technical FAQ
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 01:50:50 PM »

Hi

Question 1
I am going to fit an VGA output (15 pin d-sub) on the back of my Xbox. In that way I don't need a specially prepared VGA cable, just any standard monitor cable will do. The problem is that the non-standard cable is used to switch the output type into VGA mode by means of bridging 4 pins together (correct me if I am wrong).

Do you people have a better idea than to put a switch on the box that can bridge these pins when VGA mode should be used?

Question 2
Why not use 2 bufferts (one ic 74HC14) to protect the outputs of the h- and v-syncs from the Nvidia chip and then use this as syncs, instead of extracting those from the green signal? Nobody here writes of this method, only sync-splitting.
Look here for diagram:

http://xbox-linux.so...s/howtovga.html

They even think this solution is better than sync-splitting. Neater, simpler and better then why not?

Thanks for any help

DarkLegion

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 03:30:08 PM »

Question 2:Yes it is a better method,as the L188n chip is really a fairly cheap,and crappy sync stripper to be honest.Results tend to be decent though,however you're better off going straight to the original clean signlalthen stripping it out and compromising quality.If you want to use a sync stripper the oness made by elantec are a much better chip but also a good amount more expensive...you might be able to get a few free samples though.. .
I was planning to do it through the straight to the chip method but then my v1.1 box died and now I'm stuck with a focus chip v1.4,which has no vga firmware yet.

EDIT: Just noticed in that aritcle that there is no mention of the need for vga firmware does the cromwell bios,support vga and has its own firmware or did they just leave out the need for firmware by accident?

Edited by DarkLegion, 25 March 2004 - 12:35 AM.

Ohm

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »

Bad luck there DarkLegion, and thanks for telling me about that Elantec chip.

Me and a buddy will try to fit VGA output by means of internal syncs to our 1.0:s in a few days. I don't think that Cromwell's bios supports VGA, but I really don't know. At least I will try pixel8:s bios first.

We will put an aluminum plate on the back of the Xbox where this should be fitted:

VGA D-sub
Switch for vga or normal video mode
Switches or controller (?) for TSOP blocks; 2*256 + 1*512
Switch for write enable
Switch for chip select (still have old EEPROM chip mod inside - as rescue)
2 USB ports
Phono and RCA stereo outlets

If I don't get the syncs right I will try to get one of those Elantec strippers although they are probably expensive. The National ones costs more than ten times the amount of 74HC14:s but I want the best picture quality.

/Ohm
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1 Unmodded Crystal (they are common in Sweden smile.gif )
1 1.0 Segate 120GB, Evo D6 EEPROM and TSOP modded
-----------------------------------------------------------------

A confused Guy

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 06:27:00 AM »

how can u connect ure xbox to ure comp for FTP i already have Xbox playlist sditor... HELP

-Zou-

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 01:35:41 AM »

Why use the internal V/H synch ???

Simply because some games/apps dont work with the tatx or Pixel8 bios and with this methode, there isn't the problem of the sync on green or other problem like that. And it's not so hard to make it. Just have a good soldering experience.

vedderaxl

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2004, 02:14:18 AM »

Hi,  I just got a used HDTV pack coz I want an optical audio out. I thought it had a normal video output port. It turned out it only had component video out. Is there a way to hack it to also output normal video for a regular TV. I really just want normal video and optical audio out.  

stevie_mac

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 08:48:23 PM »

DarkLegion

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 06:35:18 AM »

Drunkn_Munky

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 08:21:34 AM »

What will give the best quality for linux and games? I have been told its the VGA adaptor but I've also told its unreliable and not worth it.

Thanks
lewis

psxpirate1

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 12:37:23 PM »

Is there a way to convert a vga bios a "boot from media bios"?

brian

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2004, 10:23:44 AM »

Has anyone done a version of the tutorial with pictures? I'm confused about what goes where and what to do about the audio cables and the like, I assume you make them seperate from the red cable then put the chip circuitry on the video points of the AVIP plug, but I don't know, so that's why i'm asking.

EvilWays

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2004, 02:18:53 PM »

james blind 009

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2004, 03:25:04 PM »

how do u know what your xbox hardware version is? uhh.gif  

EvilWays

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2004, 04:42:37 AM »

jessedude

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2004, 03:30:35 PM »

My friend tripped over the controller wires and the xbox came crashing down. So I tried putting in the av cord in the back and it went in, but when I turned it on orange and green lights started flashing. So I looked in the back and the copper things in the port thing were pushed in. Is that supposed to be like that, and if it isnt what can I do to fix it uhh.gif  uhh.gif  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 15 queries.