xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can't Get Files Streaming From My Computer - Help?  (Read 349 times)

competes2win

• Archived User
Can't Get Files Streaming From My Computer - Help?
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(PetriesLastWord @ Feb 12 2008, 01:25 AM) View Post

I've been googling, searching forums, and experimenting for days now.  I'm new to XBMC, and got everything set up.  I'm able to FTP files and all that, but I can't seem to get the program to allow me to stream music, video, and such from my computer's hard drive.  I think I have everything enabled correctly, but I could (and probably am) wrong.  Does anyone know what might be my issue?  Is there some simple thing I may be overlooking?

To stream things from my pc to my xbox I use a UPNP client called Tversity I've never had any issues with it. I like it a lot actually. maybe you should look into that... I've tried and tried but never could get any SMB shares to work, I'm not exactly sure why, probably something simple but anyhow I quit trying on account that tversity works great anyhow.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:45:00 AM »

SMB = Shares.

Create a share on your PC and add it to XBMC as a source.

If you have problems with this, read the friendly manual.

If you still have problems with this, provide some details on what you've got and what you've done.

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »

I wouldn't go for a PS3 until I'd messed about with XBMC quite a bit more.  Might be jaded opinion but if the SMB shares aren't working on XBMC, then you're aw well to try the other protocols first as well, before resorting to the expense of a PS3.

The SMB shares can sometimes be a bit awkward in XBMC.  I have no idea why, I've always had great success and use them allways to stream for 4 different computers.  I have known others who can't find the computer, can't go into unpassworded shares, and as always, ones who haven't shared anything and think it'll magicly work.

If this isn't working for you, then the best solution is UPnP.  As competes2win says, TVersity is a really good program that will do all of this, free, but if you don't want to install more programs then WMP11 does it as well.

If you know that you have shared something, then make sure that the XBox and PC can see each other by trying to connect to FTP and by going to View WorkGroups in XBMC Filemanager.  If you can FTP but not see your computer then its either a network problem, or a firewall problem.  If you see the computer but no files, its a sharing problem, and if you see nothing and FTP fails its definitly a network issue.

6StringKng

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »

I create Samba shares to stream everything over, gonna have to deal with it till i get a bigger HDD >.<

Thinking 160GB should be enough smile.gif

damn, scanning for new content takes forever now (with the new T3CH build, as of 2-10-2008), seems it downloads the show information instead of just scanning...well, looks like it will take a while considering its 40 something GB of TV shows and movies >.<

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(PetriesLastWord @ Feb 13 2008, 01:52 PM) View Post

It's adding it as a source where I run into issues, it doesn't show up in the sources, and I can't seem to get it there despite my efforts.

Did you find the option to add a network source?

Once you've done that, you should be able to set the type to SMB... Then just Browse to your destination.

If XBMC can't find the network you should at least be getting a message telling you so.

If you're unable to get that far... Provide details on exactly what you've done.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »

So you've set up the share, and managed to ask XBMC to check the network. You then get a message telling you it cannot be found. Now we're getting somewhere!

Jump back to your PC, and bring up the properties page for the NIC that leads to your X-Box. You'll see a list of services/protocols titled:

"This connection uses the following items:"

If you don't see "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in there, use the Install button to add it (it's a Service).

If that still doesn't help, which version of Windows are you using?

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

Try manually entering the path using the computers' IP (instead of browsing).

For example:

smb://<PC's IP>/<Name of shared folder>

XP Home or Pro?

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »

Just to clarify, are you connected via router or crossover cable.  And is XBMC giving you an IP address thats close to your PC IP (I'm sorry, I don't know how better to put it, but you said your tech savvy so I guess you know what I mean).

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Stefan Leroux @ Feb 14 2008, 01:46 AM) View Post
And is XBMC giving you an IP address thats close to your PC IP (I'm sorry, I don't know how better to put it, but you said your tech savvy so I guess you know what I mean).

That's a valid point - SMB only works if all the IPs are on the one network.

kato66

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(competes2win @ Feb 12 2008, 08:26 AM) View Post

To stream things from my pc to my xbox I use a UPNP client called Tversity I've never had any issues with it. I like it a lot actually. maybe you should look into that... I've tried and tried but never could get any SMB shares to work, I'm not exactly sure why, probably something simple but anyhow I quit trying on account that tversity works great anyhow.

Tversity FTW  smile.gif I have been trying to stream from my Vista machine on and off for around a year now. I've tried everything and nothing seem to work. Then I read this post, installed Tversity, added a folder that I wanted to share in Tversity, went over to my xbox.. clicked the boxes under UPNP settings in Network in xmbc..and clicked UnPn Server in Video..and there is the folder I added to share in Tverysity w00t  biggrin.gif  Thanks competes2win for telling us about this great free program.

competes2win

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 02:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(kato66 @ Feb 17 2008, 02:45 AM) View Post

Tversity FTW  smile.gif I have been trying to stream from my Vista machine on and off for around a year now. I've tried everything and nothing seem to work. Then I read this post, installed Tversity, added a folder that I wanted to share in Tversity, went over to my xbox.. clicked the boxes under UPNP settings in Network in xmbc..and clicked UnPn Server in Video..and there is the folder I added to share in Tverysity w00t  biggrin.gif  Thanks competes2win for telling us about this great free program.

yaya no problem... Like I said, I too couldn't for the life of me figure out how to share any other way but ended up finding Tversity. The program works like a charm. I have it set to automatically refresh itself every morning at 4am that way I hardly ever have to do any work, even when I'm adding new media.