xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ccXgui v2 TV-capture Streaming Test Tool  (Read 1042 times)

FredPenner

• Archived User
ccXgui v2 TV-capture Streaming Test Tool
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 04:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hawat @ Jan 16 2006, 05:28 PM) View Post

MeandI,

1) Why would you do this ? - Well consider that you only have one location in your house where you get cable tv / satellite in. This is where you have your cable box. Now, you hook up that box to a PC with capture card. Now you can watch TV _anywhere_ in house where you have a cat5 connection and a Xbox or a PC. Or you can do this even over a 802.11a connection without any wires ! This is the _huge_ and _only_ advantage MCE has over XBMC right now (thats why I am running both on my XBOX hehe). So haveing ccXgui2 stream the capture card stream and then pick it up with XBMC would be absolutely AWESOME !

2) Both vlc and mplayer (on linux) should be also able to pick up raw udp and tcp streams. VLC is very nice for testing, stable and a nice ui for configuration (the website i think is videolan.org).

Hawat,

I have a question regarding the MCE with XBMC.
I have been looking for a EPG/PVR solution for my XBMC and aside from the MythTV front end (which would require a hardware change on my HTPC-ATI-AIW radeon isn't supported in linux) or the MCE extender from M$.  Which would require me installing MCE 2005 on my HTPC, and is an acceptable solution for me.

I have not been able to find anyone with a review of using BOTH the MCE and XBMC.  One 'complaint' about the extender, was being forced to use the disk (which would require a disk change if playing a game) however installing it to the HDD in XBMC would take that away.  I am wondering though if the 'anti-chipping' policy of M$ would require some sort of patch to allow it to work on a modded xbox.

Ideally an xmltv updated EPG with PVR functions (recording stream to xbox HDD OR on pc server) would be perfect and worth the purchase of MCE 2005 and an extender kit.  Of course I would settle for the ability to watch a TV stream and have control of channel changing and program info functions.

I guess my question(s) are, does the MCE run on XBMC or does it require rebooting/disabling chip and reloading the original bios?  
Can you just install the software on the xbox and retain functionality without getting the remote and dongle?

Thanks for your post, I was almost going to build a cheapo myth TV box...

p.s.  On streaming TV, VLC works well to stream the captured TV(or webcam) signal to another pc (especially to VLC), but is not practical if you want to change channels, and I have not been able to stream it to my XBOX (yet hehe).
Pages: 1 2 [3]