xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Smb Just Stopped Working  (Read 131 times)

JustinT9669

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« on: January 14, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »

have you tried it without the pass?
<path>smb://192.168.1.100/movies/</path>

ubernewb

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »

might not be a problem with smb/xp ... this happens to peope every once in a while with xbmc. no idea what causes it, but occasionally it just "forgets" that the files are there.. usually it can be fixed by clearing teh cache and deleting teh tdata/udata xbmc folders.

Dawg605

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »

Same thing is happening to me. Worked fine for a year and now it stopped working. I upgrading to 1/11 build too and deleted the cache (0face008 folders in TDATA and UDATA) and it still does not work.

For me, when I click on "WORKGROUP (SMB) Network", which I always have clicked on and it worked fine, it says "Workgroup not found".

Helper Monkey

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »

Got it!!   It's Norton Antivirus that was stopping SMB. Even though I tried transfers with both the antivirus and the "internet worm prevention" option disabled, it was still stopping it.  Once I uninstalled Norton AV 2005, it now works perfectly.

So there's something in Norton AV that, likely due to a recent Liveupdate upgrade, prevents SMB sharing for me and maybe others.    

So now the question is, how can I get them to be compatible and if I can't what other antivirus program should I use.  It's irritating as heck that Symantec includes firewall functionality in what should just be an antivirus program.

Any suggestions?

82ross

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »

I personally use AVG. Im liking it at the minute comes in a free version and seems to keep my pc clear. I use ZoneAlarm for my software firewall.

Dawg605

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

Hm...I don't have Norton, never did. I use AVG, just like I always have.

What's the problem!?

Dawg605

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »

Bump. This has to be a problem with XBMC. I can FTP still and I didn't change anything about my computer.

Dawg605

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »

Turns out I was wrong about it being XBMC. I FIXED IT!

Well, I did a few things, but after I did something, I restarted XBMC and tried it. I think this is what I did to fix it:

I went into Windows Media Connect and then to Settings and hit Reset to reset the Windows Firewall settings back to default. Then I restarted XBMC and it works again!

Woohoo!

I don't know what changed with the firewall. I've been using XBMC for a year. Hey Monkey, do you have an XBox 360? Because I used Windows Media Connect to let my 360 view my music and stuff, so maybe that did something to the firewall settings?

Dawg605

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »

Oh, I see.

Well, for you it is a Norton problem, but I have never had Norton installed, so it isn't Norton for me.

I believe it was the Windows Firewall for me.

Helper Monkey

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »

Nothing?

How about this, is there anyone out there runing NAV05 (or 06) with the most recent Norton Liveupdates, who is currently able to use SMB with XBMC?  If so, what if any settings were required?

thanks!

kibito87

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 06:15:00 AM »

so did any figure out a way around norton besides uninstalling it. Because i think that's the same thing that happened to me but i feel like uninstalling it everytime i want to stream. Even if i disable norton and symantic it doesnt work and i deleted the cache but no change. Anyone got new news?

sabone

• Archived User
Smb Just Stopped Working
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 07:36:00 AM »

i have the same problem now i deinstaled norton and still not working