xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xbox Laptop Project  (Read 1773 times)

crusty_punk

Xbox Laptop Project
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:44:24 AM »

Video is achieved by a lovely Y Pb Pr to VGA converter sent through....

How did you convert this to be used with the xbox a /v  pinout?
Do you have or can you supply a diagram, data sheet or pinout conversions?
I'm sure this would be extremely useful to people that want an easier way to use a PC monitor with their xbox.

Thanks in advance.
-Crusty Punk

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »

It uses the same pinout as a component cable, seeing as it's effectively faking VGA output.

So, on one side, you put in +5v YPbPr(Component RGB) and on the other, you use get RGBVsHs.

All the pinouts are labeled on the actual circuit board, and if I remember correctly, the wire colors are intuitive, too.

I've also noticed that you at least need a cap on the +5v or an external power source to get decent video.  Luckily, the way it's wired; you can just not hook up the +5v on the xbox, and actually wire an external 5v supply with a RCA connector on it in the bad idea of the century.

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »

Finished converting the drive to top loading:
IPB Image
Video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=33CzyxpEc8I

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »

More work done on the top loading. I've trimmed it all down a bit and built a mount for the laser and motor into the disc tray.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »

Been doing some work on my case and experimented with the PSU some. I figured out you can run the xbox without 3.3v.

So you only need 5 wires to the xbox: 5v standby, 5v switched, 12v switched, ground, and powerON

Meaning you can theoretically run it off of a 360 slim PSU with a few transistors and a 12v to 5v step down regulator.

Awesome.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by ttsgeb, 14 July 2013 - 07:07 PM.

rewind94

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 03:41:26 AM »

Hey man, I've been watching this mod for a very long time, could you do me a favour and give us a close up photo of how you wired up the video setup, it would be much appreciated.

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »

I've been using this pinout:
http://forums.xbox-s...o...213487&st=0
And this cable:
http://forums.shocks....php?f=44&t=119
to get VGA output. It will work with ANY xbox, doesn't even have to be modded. I've also made a couple of VGA cables with it that you can just plug in and go.
You likely will need to provide an external +5v, though. I just use a USB charger and chopped up an old miniUSB camera cable for the external cables. This one, I pulled from the PSU.

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »

Well, I recently came into a chunk of change and decided to start a project to build an xbox laptop...
I'm not at all known around these parts, seeing as this is my first post and whatnot, but I figured this would be a good place to cross-post my progress from ModRetro

The basic plan is to case mod an unmodded xbox into a 14 inch laptop form factor.  My ultimate goal is to make the entire package around 1 inch thick.

Design Sketch that doesn't tell much:
IPB Image
My selection of screens to choose from in comparison to an xbox.
IPB Image
I'll likely use the Samsung screen on the bottom left... the one from a Dell, although the resolution is a bit overkill.  I'm not using the 16:9 screen because I don't feel that enough xbox games are 16:9 to justify it when I could use it for other things.
Also the 4:3 screen gives me more space to work with. tongue.gif

Currently I'm waiting for a few xboxen to come in so that I can get to work. I don't want to cut up the xbox I have... It's purty and it's my first console.

So the plan:
Make the dvd drive top loading to seriously cut down on size.
Use a controller board from NJYTouch on ebay so I can use a laptop screen
Run those fancy Iceberg 4 coolers
Use a picoPSU for power, and have an external power brick, or build a custom regulator bank using TI switching regulators if I can be bothered to figure out how.
Relocate all those bulky capacitors so it doesn't have to be 2 inches thick to fit them.

The case will be a combination of the original xbox case and some like... 1/4inch ABS or styrene that I sit there and mill by hand with my dremmel.

Like I said, this is going to be cross-posted, and this isn't really a place I think to visit much, so If you see a lack of anything happening and actually care, PM me or something so that I can remember to update... Or just check ModRetro.
I'll also try to keep this first post updated as a dated work log all in one place so you don't have to potentially scroll through to see progress.

Man, I'm looking forward to this project.

Also, Holy cow, I joined over 4 years ago... I was wondering when I did that... I don't ever remember making this account. biggrin.gif

Edited by ttsgeb, 16 April 2012 - 02:43 AM.

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »

Got a box in the mail today, made a bit of progress.

Nothing really revolutionary or anything, but progress nonetheless.

I played around with the disk drive a bit and chopped the case to bits.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Once I bother myself with getting the screen I'm actually going to use out of it's casing, I can really get to work on making this look nice.

So far it's just looking like a standard slimbox... and that's actually going to be about how it looks.

I need to do a lot of work to make this case look right though... and find some nice plastic to work with.

On a related note, does anyone know the current draw of a stock xbox on the 5V, 12V, and 3.3V lines so that I can play around with designing a regulator for this thing?

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »

Came up with a less ridiculous layout and ordered most of the parts I need today

IPB Image

Once this all comes in, the only part I'll still need to finish this is a solution to my power problem.

Basically, I need to be told/find out the power draw of a stock xbox for the 3.3V 5V and 12V lines so that I can either throw together a few regulators or buy a suitable picopsu for it.

Now to wait around some more so the plastic sheets I need to start really working on this case can come on in.

jaroc

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

Why not go with a 2.5" hard drive with bigger capacity?

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »

The basic plan is to case mod an unmodded xbox into a 14 inch laptop form factor.

Because I'm flippin' insane.

shambles1980

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 08:24:29 PM »

it wont be long till you say.. I need to do a vga mod.

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »

I'll only do that if I actually need to. I think I can get away with component video, so that's what I'll try first. All depends on what I can make my screen do.

If I need to, yes, I'll drop in a vga bios, but the idea is to leave the software side as stock as I can.

ttsgeb

Xbox Laptop Project
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »

Minor amount of progress today... did some some on my heatsink setup.

I'm hoping this will keep it cool enough.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I took the fans all the way apart to solder this together... because that's how I roll.
IPB Image
IPB Image

They aren't actually attached to the board yet, just setting on it... but man, this looks so much less intimidating without the stock heatsinks.

Mostly I've been too lazy to break out the desoldering iron AND the soldering iron at the same time...

Also I've been busy banging my head again the desk trying to figure out what I'm going to replace the PSU with...  Seriously.  I'm not feeling up to breaking an xbox trying things.

Will the xbox turn on if I just feed 3.3V to the POWOK line right off the bat, or does it have to send out the POWON signal and receive the 3.3V on POWOK as a response in order to boot?

This is a V1.6 xbox btw.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 15 queries.